Hoar Frost NZ
Europe - Other
Other and Quirky
Bruce Burgess; a kiwi, a resident of West Auckland, New Zealand.
A few facts about Bruce:
- has had a passion for photography since age 12, when developed 1st film, then operated a darkroom; developed and printed own Black & White and E6 and C41 process colour films for many years
- appointed to PSNZ Honours Board in 2011
- gained a Fellowship distinction with the Photographic Society of New Zealand (FPSNZ) in April 2008
- gained an Associateship distinction with the Photographic Society of New Zealand (APSNZ) in May 1996
- has used various Nikon 35mm and Nikon SLR digital cameras using mainly Nikkor lenses
- currently Patron the Henderson Photographic Society (Inc) based in West Auckland in NZ and was President of the club from 1996-1998
- received numerous awards over the years at PSNZ, North Shore Salon and other NZ and International Competitions including:
1994 Gold Medal & NZ Royal Easter Show Champion Print (The Long Wait)
1995 Gold Medal Champion Print for PSNZ – George Chance Trophy (Digits on Brass)
1995 First Prize in NZ Royal Easter Show Print Section (Child Study)
1996 Open Champion Winner in Agfa-Listener-Time-Frame (The Staircase)
1996 Print chosen by Agfa, for printing on packs of 35mm films (The New South Africa)
1996 Print selected in PSNZ Permanent Collection (The Staircase) [refer above]
1997 Highly Commended for 3 images in OCEANZ Competition
1997 Bronze Medal in CPS Laurie Thomas Landscape Competition
2009 Bronze Medal in Annual PSNZ Jack Sprosen National Audio Visual Competition (Sean Bell)
2010 Special Merit Certificate in Annual PSNZ Jack Sprosen National Audio Visual Competition (“Life’s a Beach”)
2011 2 x Merit Awards & Accptance in Tauranga Photographic Society Audio Visual Salon 2011
2011 Highly Commended + Honours Awards + 3 Acceptances at North Shore Salon of Photography
2012 3 x Merit Awards in Tauranga Photographic Society Audio Visual Salon 2012
2012 9 x Acceptances at North Shore Salon of Photography 2011
2012 Gold Medal and Jack Sprosen Memorial Trophy for Audio Visual Presentations ("Imagine")
2013 2 x Acceptances in PSNZ Canon National Exhibition
2013 Acceptance at 2013 Tauranga Audio Visual Salon "Autumn Leaves" in Music, Poetry & Song Category
2013 Acceptance in 2013 Adelaide International AVFest for "Imagine"
2013 2 x Acceptances in 22nd NZ Photojournalism Competition
2013 2 x Acceptances in 2013 Nelson National Triptych Salon
2013 Bronze Medal in 2014 Jack Sprosen Memorial Audio Visual Competition for "The End of the Beginning"
2014 Highly Commended in North Shore Salon of Photography (Street Guardians) + 3 acceptances in 3 categories
2014 Commended Award in 2015 Jack Sprosen Memorial Audio Visual Competition for "Monet's Autumn"
2014 3 x Acceptances in 2014 Nelson National Triptych Salon
2014 2 x Honours + Acceptance in 2014 - 45th Dunedin Festival of Photography
2015 Honours + Acceptance in 2015 - 63rd PSNZ Natex Exhibition for "Geometry at Dawn"
2015 Acceptance in 2015 Laurie Thomas NZ Landscape Salon for "Kaikourua Rolling Hills"
2015 4 x Acceptances in 2015 North Shore Salon of Photography in 4 categories
2015 Acceptance at 2015 Tauranga Audio Visual Salon for "Dewy Morning" in Theme Category
2015 3 x Acceptances in 2015 Nelson National Triptych Salon
2016 2 x Acceptance in 2016 - 64th PSNZ Natex Exhibition ("Kissed with Light & Big Eyes")
2016 First & Gold Medal at 2016 Tauranga Audio Visual Salon for "Uluru" in The World of Nature category
2016 4 Nations NZ Entry Acceptance for "Our Country" Section for "Down on the Farm"
2016 2 x Honours + 2 x Acceptances in 25th Annual NZ Photo-Journalism Competition 2016
Owing to business commitments, Bruce did not compete in competitions for many previous years prior to 1994.
- judged photography competitions at PSNZ National, Trans-Tasman, North Shore Salon and at PSNZ Club level for over 20 years; judged in panel for D Photo Magazine in 2012; judged national audio visual competitions
- completed a week long commercial photographic assignment in Tonga for Sea-Spray Magazine, plus several assignments for boating magazines for front covers and articles etc. and numerous other commercial photography jobs for educational books, calendars and weddings etc. over the years.
- attended a 5 day “Use of the Right Side of the Brain in Photography” by inspirational Canadian Photographer Freeman Paterson in 1997.
- invited in 2006 on a 2 week tour of China by The Chinese Photographers Association (CPA) as one of 8 international photographers to capture the people, traditions and tourist opportunities in the city of Beihai in the Guangxi Province and the city of Duyun in the Guizhou Province.
- has a keen interest in people, photojournalism, landscape, travel and abstract photography.
- also enjoys the medium of audio visuals using digital software and digital projection.
- has a philosophy in photography to adopt a personal style that portrays an artistic vision which can also be emotionally powerful.
- and finally, as photography is his passion; it also must be fun!